Wednesday 20 November 2019

Falling behind

If I write two today and then two more tomorrow
I will be free from the impending sorrow
Of failing at my intended goal.

The dear Soul
that kept me from writing
Is with his Dad tonight.

Oh the plight
of single-parenting.

He screamed a lot yesterday.
We did play.
With legos mostly. I fed him toast-he
threw on the floor.

We did manage to eat, ok...
I fed him a hot dog.
And peppers and arugula
But, well, hey!
I am doing the best I can.

I needed contact lens solution
But in order to get it I would have had to pack him up too.
This, I wasn't willing to do (what with coats and hats and boots...)
So we made due.

I also have the flu. Or at least a wicked cold.
Coughing and snot
Ears aching a lot.

The screaming became intense. He hadn't napped.
Have you ever fallen into the trap
of trying to reason with an overtired already spirited three-year old?
I need not be told
It is a challenge that brings many to their knees
Begging please, please, please...

But that doesn't work.
Fire does though!
I lit the sweet grass.
In for five...out for five...
Breathed it in. And out.
Smoke trailing into the air. All around his body, his hair.
He stops screaming. Like magic.
Whatever was so tragic
Is over now.
Wow.

I am grateful. He is back.
We read stories.
Light turns to black night.
We pray then we sleep.
So deep. So sweet.

And now, just one extra poem tomorrow and I am back on track!


No comments:

Post a Comment