Monday 23 January 2012

Puff The Magic Dragon

Well first of all, Puff frolics in the autumness (or so I thought for many years) and the land, of course, is called Shanna Lee. This song gets me every time. As soon as I hear the line "Puff could not be brave" I weep. Today I was singing Puff to Xavier and his bottom lip began to quiver a little. He's so sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wik2uc69WbU

Is it empathy that makes one cry in some songs? As a child I used to sob when my mom would sing "You are My Sunshine." I would then say, "Sing it again mommy" all snotty faced and teary eyed. Xavier cried once when I sang "You are My Sunshine." He hasn't allowed me to sing the second verse since. Do these songs have some kind of built in make a person cry triggers? Is there some sort of subconscious memory at play? I'm not sure.

Today we sang a new and extended version of Puff the Magic Dragon. You see, Jackie's son, Chuck, came to play with Puff and Puff was happy. Eventually Chuck went off driving in his new car but then his daughter Sally came along. She even decided to keep playing with Puff even after she became and adult, but eventually..."Dragons live forever, not so little boys..." Is this song sad because we grow up and forget about having magic and fun? Or is it sad because we're all dragons yet we so easily forget our true nature?

I kind of like songs that make me cry. Emotions are fascinating. Xavier has been singing "I am a Rock" lately. He belts out the last line: "And a rock feels no pain. An island never cries." I explained that I wouldn't want to be a rock because if I couldn't cry, well then I wouldn't be able to laugh either.

P.S. I didn't edit this. It's time for meditation then sleep. Goodnight sweet everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how to make the video appear in the blog. I'll try again next time. It's just Peter Paul and Mary singing "Puff the Magic Dragon."

    ReplyDelete