Saturday 21 January 2012

Mending not spending!

I forgot to mention another one of my 40 day sadhana goals. I'm not going to buy anything (except food of course). I don't shop excessively but once in awhile I get a strange urge to accumulate stuff. We're on a pretty tight budget but I managed to find a super awesome Goodwill. I come home with books, toys, clothes, pottery, cushions, fabric, jackets...it never costs much. One day I glanced at those people with full carts all around me. They were packed full of junk, crammed full of non-essentials. I looked at my own cart, admittedly less full but still. I may have laughed out loud. I'm going to end up on a hoarder show! I think I caught myself in time (I do love finding treasures and will undoubtedly go back to Goodwill after these 40 days are over-but I'll be more aware).

Today I finally got around to mending. My favourite purple jeans had been out of commission since the fall and my really awesomest hoodie needed a new zipper. I'd never replaced a zipper before but it was super easy. Here I am in my new/old favourite hoodie jacket: 

I also patched up Meshon' s jeans and fixed another pair of my comfy yoga inspired trousers. It's like having new stuff, in a way. Next time I get out my sewing machine I'll create something new out of something I no longer wear. I love doing that!

No comments:

Post a Comment