Thursday 26 January 2012

Avidya: "incorrect comprehension"

I picked up T.K.V. Desikachar's book, The Heart of Yoga, from the Edmonton Public Library yesterday. The 40 Day Sadhana adventurers are reading it in S'toon; I am so happy to get a chance to read it as well! Desikachar is the son of Krishnamacharya, the man who taught B.K.S. Iyengar, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois and Indra Devi (to name a few). Basically, almost everything we in the West know of as yoga stems from the teachings of Krishnamacharya.

Today I was introduced to the four branches of Avidya, which, literally translated, means "incorrect comprehension." Vidya, then, is "correct comprehension." Desikachar notes that avidya is seldom obvious, we seldom recognize that our perception is wrong; "indeed, one of the characteristics of avidya is that it remains hidden from us." Luckily, the four branches of avidya are easier to notice.

The first branch is what we might call the ego, called asmita. It's the thing that makes us want to be the best, to be always right. It's that which makes us look around the yoga class to see if we're doing the poses "better" than everyone else. ("Keep your eyes on your own mat! Unless you have to look at the teacher for instruction.")

The second one is called raga and it is about demanding. Demanding things, demanding more, demanding without truly knowing why or even if we want something. Wanting more because what we have is not enough or wanting to keep things which we are asked to give away. In my case, wanting chips just because I believe I like chips (if I truly taste them, I don't even actually like them–still going strong on the no chips!).

Dvesa is the third branch and it is a rejection of things, of people, of thoughts. It causes us to reject that with which we are not familiar and that which we believe might cause us pain. Desikachar explains, "we have a difficult experience and we are afraid of repeating it, so we reject the people, the thoughts, and the settings that relate to that experience, assuming they will bring us pain again." We all build walls to try and protect ourselves, often times this self-imposed isolation is on a subconscious level.

The final branch is abhinivesa, fear. This comes up in our everyday lives. We feel uncertain about our actions, afraid of being judged. Fearing change or growing old are aspects of abhinivesa.

"These four branches of avidya, singly or together, cloud our perceptions." (all info from p. 10-11) Little by little, slowly, slowly, yoga can help us become attentive of these branches so that we clarify our perception, so that we begin to see clearly. "The goal of yoga is to reduce the film of avidya in order to act correctly." I, for one, would like to act correctly (but that's still my ego wanting me to be good at acting correctly! Hey, it's a start!)

P.S. Again, it's late. I choose not to edit, though I fear you, dear reader, will judge me for the errors I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment