Thursday 2 February 2012

Why are you here?

Why are you here? This is the question that Rameen, a new teacher of mine, likes to ask. He usually repeats once or twice using a different tone, differing the emphasis. His voice is filled with sincerity. My automatic response is, "I don't know and it doesn't matter. I can just be nice and pay attention and be open to whatever life throws at me." While I kinda think that is a good answer, it seems like he thinks we should maybe try to truly figure out why we're here. I don't know for sure if he thinks that because I haven't asked yet but it seems like he's asking me to meditate deeply, to energize upon this question: Why am I here? What is my life's dharma? Deep inside I know that I know already but I also know that I'm not going to know that I know for quite some time. Maybe something will snap and I'll suddenly know, like a bolt of lightning: this is my purpose here on earth!!! I've always thought that people who know exactly what is their purpose in life are just kind of tricking themselves but I'm starting to think that it is possible to figure it out.

So, before YOU go to bed tonight, find a quiet spot and ask yourself: Why am I here?

2 comments:

  1. I think it partly has to do with knowing your gifts, your skills and abilities and using them as well as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that makes a lot of sense Serimuse. I came across this video today called "Find Yourself" by Akua Naru that has some great lyrical insights. I think I'll post it later today.

    ReplyDelete