Tuesday 10 March 2015

"Speak your VOICE"

Last week I finally attended the Breathe In Poetry night at the Rouge Lounge. When I moved to Edmonton more than three years ago, I intended to check out the spoken word scene here. It took me awhile, but I went. This week is open mic night and I'm ready to speak. I have a poem ready to share. I started writing it 5 years ago after being completely inspired and forever altered as I heard Magpie Ulysses read at Ness Creek. 5 years to get the courage, to find my voice...not bad ;) I'm terrified! I'll share it later. For now:

I scribbled the following down last week, at Slam Night, using a red pen. I began during a break. Finished up at home.

Rouge. Cuz that's where I am.
The wine
The ink from this pen.
Blood sacrifice.

To begin
Just breathe it in.
(Deep breath)
Then release it back
Out into the ether
Prana entering
your Soul
Whole
and Holy

Leaving solely
once it has memorized
the nuances of your vibration

Elation! Joy! Love.
Sensations felt down below-
These feelings are above!
 the Pain. the Hurt. the Jealousy
Bad. Good. Bad.
Incessant dichotomy.

If I'm not happy, I must be failing.
If I feel pain, I must be ailing...

Judgements.
Leaving no room...
For Love.

Love even the pain.
Embrace it.
Fucking face it!

it HURTS that you're gone
Our together song...
So plump with potential and power
cut short
Abruptly.

Like when the radio is suddenly taken over
in the middle of your favourite song.
And you were just so fucking into it!
You know?
Grooving and singing along...

And then:

"We interrupt this program for an important news bulletin. 
There is a brutal, ruthless burglar on the loose.
He will steal your heart.
Love you infinitely and madly for a short period of bliss.
Lost in his kiss.
And without even telling you why.
He will leave."

I would have liked to say good-bye.

2 comments:

  1. Shanna, I haven't checked on your blogs for a while. Lovely to see that you are still writing and that you went to the open mic in Edmonton. Some beautiful thoughts in this and other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna, I haven't checked on your blogs for a while. Lovely to see that you are still writing and that you went to the open mic in Edmonton. Some beautiful thoughts in this and other posts!

    ReplyDelete