Saturday 10 March 2012

The Rise and Fall

Sunsets. Sunrises. Beautiful serene visions of coulourfully changing subtlety. How often to we take the time to sit and wait until the sun descends completely? In Saskatchewan, on the prairies, in the land of living skies, the descent of the sun is more gradual than in many places (for example, near the equator or in mountainous landscapes). When I was flying back from Australia more than a decade ago I met a Japanese couple on my flight from Vancouver to Saskatoon. I asked, quite bluntly, "Why are you traveling to Saskatchewan?" "For the sunsets," was the answer I received. Ah yes. Something we may take for granted, I realized. Not to mention the Northern Lights (which I'm certain have been spectacular since the solar flares).

The large picture window faces west and mom and dad's house. Here are some examples of what is seen through that window, from the land of living skies:


 Sunrise with cows
 Sunrise (cows on the hill)


I don't see the sun set in Edmonton. I probably don't even know which way West is (I don't). I've noticed the moon a few times, not many stars. But there is beauty, even here. The white hares hopping about are starting to turn greyish brown again. The children are out more, splashing in the slush. And I'll look more closely to see if I can glimpse the setting sun amidst the buildings and traffic lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment