Friday 30 March 2012

From Sheet to Shirt!!!

I made a fabulous little top this evening out of an old sheet I bought at Goodwill and a pillowcase that was kicking around here, unused. I did not, however, create a step by step tutorial. Forgive me. When I start sewing I become hyper-focused and can hardly wait to see how the finished product turns out. Here is the shirt that Shanna built:




Bahahaha! I think me trying to figure out how to take a picture of myself is worthy of a blog post. At least, once I realized I could turn the timer on, I managed to look like some kind of...I don't even know what that look and pose is all about. I was trying to show the neckline; I look as though brilliant benevolent aliens are coming to get me and I'm offering myself to them. (I made the little cut-off jean mini too).

Anyways, not only do I love my new sheet shirt, I learned some lessons about myself as I sewed along. You see, originally I had used an elastic belt as the cuffs but it looked weird (I did some great ruching though). Now, when things look weird I often just give up instead of getting out the seam ripper. Today I was more realistic about life and sewing. Sometimes you have to try again. And then sometimes again and again and again. This is life, not failure. It's learning. I'm learning.

If you like this little number and want to make one yourself, get this awesomely cool book that Serimuse got for me! It's called The Subversive Seamster http://www.amazon.com/Subversive-Seamster-Transform-Threads-Couture/dp/156158925X. The project is called "This Shirt is the Sheet!" I used the pillow case (jersey knit) for the cuffs and waistband whereas they use suspenders but it's all good. Find something stretchy.

Happy Friday night! Hope you had as much fun as I did ;)

1 comment: